2 Nov 2009

Dave Sedgewick-Questionnaire





Recently attending one of Dave's lectures at Stockport College I took this opportunity to email and ask him a few questions that I have put together regarding work experience and education. I wanted to ask Dave as I found his lecture very enjoyable and find Dave to be easily approachable and honest. Dave Works at 999 Design, Manchester


1. Do you think that it is important for students to have industry experience before graduating? Would you take on a graduate who didn't have any?
I think it’s really important for students to gain as much experience as possible, whether that’s via placements, freelance work, working directly for the client or just getting out and about seeing studios. To me, it’s a key part of the education process. I’d certainly not take on a student though just because they had experience. They still have to be talented, independent, likeable, enthusiastic and creative. Just because they might have done 6 weeks at dog and cheese design studios in Glossop doesn’t mean they’re the next big thing! 


2.Do you think students are prepared for the transition into the industry? E.g do you feel they have the necessary skills needed?
Nope, not really. They’re certainly getting better. There is definitely a better standard of student graduating these days, which means the competition is higher. That said, in my experience, skills such as printing techniques, knowledge of paper stocks, agency know-how, client liaising, computer skills, artworking and the general day to day shite of working in an agency is not always apparent in a graduate. However, it’s hard to learn that until you have to and so it’s probably best students stick to learning how to be ‘creative and have their own ideas’ and leave the rest of the crap until you’re working 15 hours a day!


3. Would you consider hiring a designer if they didn't have qualifications but had a mass amount of experience and great work?
Yes, certainly...it’s definitely more about the person and the work that’s important, not the fact that they have a qualification!  


4. As a designer I tend to be logical / functional. Do you think these kind of designers have a short shelf life?
Not quite sure to be honest. I think we’re all sort of logical designers if I’m honest. We all have to reason with ourselves or the client on a project. Those designers who aren’t prepared to budge or refuse to change their way of working usually have a shorter shelf life in my opinion. 


5. Aware that I can improve on my idea based work I have purchased and read many books. Some people beleive ideas people are born and not made. Do you agree with this comment?
Sort of. However, I think you can help ideas formulate by immersing yourself in whatever medium you fancy. Books, the internet, cinema, music, travel all help to give ideas. Maybe you either have it or you don’t, but I think that you can certainly learn how to get whatever ‘it’ is out there and onto paper or the screen or whatever. 


6. As a designer what are your goals for the future?
Well I suppose to just continue doing and appreciating nice work, oh and I wouldn’t mind earning a bit more money!