Very is a graphic design studio based in London. Their services include; corporate identity, brand development, direct marketing, advertising, literature design, website design and development, email and viral marketing, website accessibility consultancy, exhibition design and project management. when attending our portfolio visit we met richard rhodes and john paul. we had our portfolio discussion beneath the studio which is situated over a pub! speaking genuiney about portfolios richard says he likes book portfolios for the reason that they are different. he also says that books are simple to go through and discuss. on the subject or working in london or manchester richard and john paul beleive that it is worth giving it a go down in london as they both feel that there is more opportunity and there is more exposure to opportunities.
The Change Foundation:
This is the first piece of work in my current portfolio. I created this piece of work on my HND course a few years ago. I like to keep this piece of work in as I still think the design is strong and has been executed very well. The Change Foundation was a self initiated brief. The change foundation would be a charity who deals with social, and environmental issues. The brief was to design a logo and other possible material.
The concept of this logo is the 3 c's. These c's interlock and give the idea of a bond. This should also give the impression of caring, nurturing and safety. The colour green should reinforce the idea of peace. However many designers tend to be slightly confused with this mark. Many designers feel that this mark reflects the message of a 'maze' which could possibly give the wrong meaning. e.g people feeling lost, stuck, and cant get out. Many ideas that the foundation doesnt want to promote. Richard suggested that I could possibly change one of the c's horizontal so we can see a definate c shape which would represent the change word.
Richard and John paul said that I could possibly try and implement the brand by creating other materials to reinforce the charity. It was also expressed that I didn't seem very confident dicussing this piece of work. As I have had many portfolio visits I tend to have highs and lows. Receiving many opinions about my work I tend to become a little unsure of what the next person will say. I would like to pick this brief up again and consider all feedback I have received from designers to improve this piece of work.
Photography Exhibition Material:
This is another piece of work that I am quite confident with. The brief was to design promotional material for the 3rd year students exhibition. The concept of this design is the shape creates a 'crop' mark which is used in photography. Inside the mark is the work of all the students involved in the show. I did this because I wanted to showcase each person and not just one. I decided poster and flyers would be most necessary.
Richard voiced that he thinks there could possibly be too many versions of this idea. I definately see where he is coming from and I will definately re look at this brief and improve this thought. Not feeling very confident about the illustrated bus stop myself, the guys also commented that it would definately be better to the poster in situe.
Logo Design:
Here is a collection of logos that I have designed. I thought this would be a nice way of showcasing the identity's.
Richard and John Paul expressed that they think I should look into taking my favorate logos further. To possibly show them on different applications whether it be business cards, letterheads or brochures. Another piece of advice is that I need to say what company the logo is for. This way it will be easier to identify whether the logo reflects the company.
It was also suggested that I should look at color variations for a selection of these identity's. I could also reinforce my logos with small scamps. Being very keen on pixelation and attention to detail Richard and John Paul believe that your portfolio has to be as neat as possible.
To visit the VERY Website click here: http://www.verystudio.co.uk/




