4 Jan 2010

Questionnaire













Ed Walker: Senior Digital Designer, London



1. Do you think that it is important for students to have industry experience before graduating? Would you take on a graduate who didn't have any?

Very important.I would consider someone who hadn't had experience butsomeone who could show they had experience in dealing with short turn around times and generally fast paced production would have an advantage.



2. Do you think students are prepared for the transition into the industry? E.g do you feel they have the necessary skills needed?

I certainly wasn't and because I went straight into self employment I didn't get that experience for a long time. But generally you just have to have the skill to adapt quickly. They should be giving you varied briefs with different stresses and strains for you to deal with. And of course, if you want it enough you'll learn quickly.



3. Would you consider hiring a designer if they didn't have qualifications but had a mass amount of experience and great work?

Yes of course. If they can show they can do the job then they would be given the chance.





  
4. As a designer I tend to be logical/ functional. Do you think these kind of designers have a short shelf life?
Not at all, when I was trained we were taught to think very carefully about the logical about our work and less about the styling. Also the job of production is often a very important part of the day. Sometimes there is no time to spend on complex solutions, just good quality production work that you can complete quickly.
5. Aware that I can improve on my idea based work I have purchased and read many books. Some people beleive ideas people are born and not made. Do you agree with this comment?
I think you are asking if you need to be talented to be a good designer. No I think there are many good designers who do good solid work who have learned everything they know and don't consider themselves talented.



6. As a designer what are your goals for the future?

Improvement, expand my skills to illustration and photography and eventually trancend the client/designer relationship and just do work I like and sell it independently (books, posters kind of thing)





http://www.edwalker.com/