30 Nov 2009

D&AD Portfolio Surgery-Rob Watson Raw Design






In October I managed to have a discussion with Rob Watson of 'Raw Design' about my portfolio. This was also at the D&AD portfolio surgeries.
Rob said that my portfolio was very well presented. When discussing my logo work he recommended that I possibly have a key to say what each logo represented. He also suggested that I could possibly show some development work and sketches of the logos to show my thinking process.
Included in my portfolio was a live brief from Avalanche Creative which was glow in the dark packaging designs. Looking back I can see why this wasn't a strong piece and shouldn't of been included. Rob expressed that he thought the fonts clashed and that ideally you shouldn't use no more than two different fonts in one piece.
During our discussion Rob said that it would be a good idea to get a website, stating that exposure is important. Altho Rob liked my portfolio he says I could possibly research the industry more. To look at what is going on in the design world at the moment. He recommended many websites which included formfiftyfive,booooooom, itsnicethats and typeneu.
Rob says that your portfolio should contain 6 pieces of work. To have the best at the front and he 2nd best at the back. Expressing concerns about my work being very corporate and wanting to improve on creativity he says I shouldn't worry about the main thing. He believes you should keep pushing your ideas but loosen up.