
Currently looking to improve my work within the ideas area I decided to create a questionnaire focusing on ideas within design and ideas generation. I then decided to approach ideas based/advertising companies for their advice and insight.
1. Browsing on the company website I see that the majority of 'The Chase's ' work is ideas based. Do you think that is important to have a idea behind a design? Rather than just looking nice?
Always. Otherwise what else do you have? A pretty picture. I'm not sure how that would communicate what our clients want.
Always. Otherwise what else do you have? A pretty picture. I'm not sure how that would communicate what our clients want.
2. Do you think that graphic designers MUST to be 'ideas' based? Would you as a company employ somebody who's strengths didn't lie in this area?
With our company, I very much doubt it. Ideas are our currency so if you were style based, you wouldn't get very far. Also, people who trade on style have a short shelf life. You may be able to catch a few trends when you are young but in time – as you grow up – you don't understand the nuances of fashion. Think of your dad dancing at a wedding, it never looks right. But at one point it probably did.
3. How do you as a company / designer / designers gather ideas?
I'm not sure what you mean? Ideas come directly from life, experience, washing up, walking the dog, shopping, cooking, the brief, the problem you are trying to overcome. The gut wrenching feeling of not having an answer and the fulfillment of knowing what it feels like when you get one.
4. Currently looking to improve my work in the ideas area, do you have any advice on 'ideas generation'?
Unfortunately. I believe ideas people are born, and not made. You can be taught certain tricks and techniques if you are bright, but that will only ever get you as far as the next person in your position. Really good ideas are a flash of inspiration that can not be learnt from a text book. However. Look at the brief, there will normally be two topics there and the idea that bridges the gap is the best solution. e.g. LEAFSTREET (on our website) was an environmental housing company that needed and identity. A leaf becomes a street. The best solutions are simple, but not stupid.
