24 Apr 2009

Portfolio Visit-Truth Design


‘Truth’ are a Manchester based agency which is run by Darren and Jayne. I recently emailed the company to request a short portfolio visit. The Truth office is based on Kennedy street in Manchester City centre. The reason for my visit was to discuss the current level of my portfolio.
Whilst discussing the briefs in my portfolio Darren has previously viewed a few students portfolios from the same university, and says that it is good to see how people interpret the same brief. Darren advises to experiment with everything you possibly can at university, as you cannot do this in industry due to restrictions. Darren beleives that design is ideas generation, space and layout.
Whilst discussing process of design, Darren says not to feel restricted by your computer skills if you have a idea make sure you execute it the best you can or ask somebody else who has better skills. Darren beleives that software is a tool to execute ideas but advises not to be a slave to it.
In terms of placement I was advised to do whatever / as many as I possibly can. When looking for possible placements Darren looks for potential in the design work, knowing that you can do the job and also personality is essential. If a placement was avaible at Truth students wouldnt be involved with live briefs as it runs the risk of losing clients if the brief isnt answered correctly. I was told that having students at the office can be hassle as it takes up time and computers. Although it is a hassle they do like to do it from time to time.
During the crit I asked Darren whether he ever felt intimidated by approaching very well known design agencies, he says sometimes he did but says that you have got to have self belief, self confidence, to aim high and dont be afraid.
Darren says that the presentation of my portfolio is good, that it looks professional and is very well layed out. Darren also advised me to show logos on a seperate page to the applications, so you can show the logo in its own right. He also says that I should show work that I am happy with, to show what I liked and not the client. He says that it is a good idea to show what the client chose but to also show what you would have chosen.