21 Feb 2009

NYC Bowling Championships-Identity

This is a logo design and merchandise for a group brief. The brief was to incorporate 2 seperate elements into a single logo, which consisted of an event and location. The group decided to base our concept on a bowling championship at the statue of liberty. This is the final logo the group chose upon. The spikes around the ball represent the statue of liberty crown and the 3 circles represent the finger holes within a bowling ball. The play on negetive space allows you to imagine the shape of the ball. I feel to improve upon this concept I would consider a new colour pallette, change the typeface and possibly give is a more serious look.

As this was the first time I have worked within a group at university I found it quite hard to adapt as it doesnt just count on your contribution, you are not fully in control and need to work with others at all times. I feel that I came away with some good and bad experience. At the beginning of this project I felt quite frustrated as I felt I couldnt express my opinions as I didnt want to sound negetive or offensive to group members nor did I want to seem as if I was taking control of the group. But when the group was progressing I found it easier to express concerns and ideas.

I feel the group didnt gel together at the beginning and we struggled to work well as a team. I feel whilst being involved in the work we went away as single members and not as a ‘team’. Towards the end of the project I feel the group worked better together and we wernt afraid to speak up within the group.

I found time management essential within this project but got quite frustrated knowing you had to wait for others to pass work/ideas on and feel in some part there was alot of delay also due to the fact some group members didnt attend group discussions or talks to discuss progression of work .

I felt the planning of this work was a struggle at first due to being hesitent expressing thoughts. I have learnt a significant amount within this project. I realised that there is no point getting annoyed and you should accept that other people have different ideas / opinions and ways of working. I Also Feel that patience played a huge role. In all fairness I think that in the end the group created a successful body of work.